Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

You, as the tenant, are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies directly when you move into the property and also when you leave. Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO) can do this for you over the phone before you move in and arrange to have it shut of the day you leave.

How do I pay rent?

Please click here to view "Acceptable Payment Method."

What happens if my rent is paid late?

Rent is due on the 1st of each calendar month – no exceptions. If rent is not received, late penalties will be charged as per the lease agreement signed by the tenant. A “Five Business Day Pay or Quit” Notice will be issued immediately upon late/non-payment of rent. If rent is not paid in full by the 5th business day legal action will be taken.

How do I serve notice to vacate my property?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your particular lease agreement. If you are on a "fixed" rental term, you are responsible to pay rent until your rental agreement ends. If you are on a "Month-to-Month" or "At-Will" you are required to give 28-days' notice.

What penalties will I incur should I break my lease agreement early?

The primary liability is for rent until the end of the contract or its break clause point. If the landlord agrees to re-market the property and once a new tenant is found, then your liability will be reduced to covering the landlord's commission and any other expenses from when the property is re-let. Payments would be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the unexpired term of the contract unless otherwise agreed upon.

What expenditure should I expect at the end of the tenancy?

As an outgoing tenant typically your costs will be associated with professional cleaning and the inventory check out. Any discrepancies between the check in and check out may result in deductions from your deposit. You are expected to return the property in the same condition you received it or better (minus "normal wear and tear"). Any holes in walls must be patched and painted so that the walls look in the same condition as when you moved in. Upon moving in you will receive photos of the unit taken on that day. You will also receive a property condition form where you will have the opportunity to point out specific things about the property (ex: dent in refrigerator etc).

When is my deposit returned to me?

Under Hawaii law, a landlord must return the tenant's security deposit within 14 days after the tenant has surrendered the rental property to the landlord (that is, returned the keys and vacated the property). (See: Haw. Rev. Stat. § 521.44).

What should I do if a repair is needed at the Property?

Contact Sun Properties via phone during business hours at (808) 824-3511 and send an email outlining what needs to be repaired. If it is a plumbing emergency call anytime. If it is an immidiate health and safety emergency call 911.

Can the landlord enter the rented property?

The tenant must allow the landlord reasonable entry into the unit to inspect, make repairs, and show the dwelling to prospective purchasers and tenants. The landlord, except in emergencies, shall give the tenant at least two days' notice (unless otherwise agreed upon) and shall enter only during reasonable hours.